Looking for adult dating services information guid

26 Apr

Todd & Shortridge, who had started Levenfield in 1768, directly across the Leven from Milton Works, owned it.Another was the fact that from 1809 until 1848, the minister of Bonhill Parish Church, still for all of that time the only Church of Scotland Church in the whole of the Vale, lived in a house at Mill of Balloch, close to the schoolhouse.A new Parish Church was built at Bonhill in 1747, and in 1758 a manse was added in front of the Church.There were a number of them based on the riverbank around the Fisherwood, but since they could be worked from either bank, many of the fishermen lived at Dalvait.The hamlet straddled both sides of the Carrochan Burn as it entered the Leven.

There are much worse names than that in Scotland, but obviously the hamlet's few residents were none too impressed and looked around for a snappier one.

The story goes - and this is one urban myth that is probably true - that in the 1790's there were a number of men (3 is often mentioned) living there with the name James, so they decided to call it Jamestown, and Jamestown, or more usually, Jimson it has been ever since.

Dalvait features prominently in the origins of Jamestown, for two reasons.

Firstly, the Mill of Balloch stood close to Dalvait Road, where it crosses the Carrochan Burn, and it was from the dam for this mill that Jamestown took its first name.

When the Reverend William Mc Gregor took charge in 1809, he declined to live in the manse probably because it was in a pretty dilapidated state, and lived instead over 2 miles away in Jamestown.

He was a bit of an iconoclast both religiously and socially, and it is very unlikely that he cared much what his parishioners thought of this arrangement.

The second reason that the name Dalvait features prominently in the development of Jamestown is that it was on the land of Dalvait that the first houses in the area were built.

These were fishermen's houses, belonging to the men referred to above, who drew nets across the Leven to catch salmon.